What information do we collect about you and how will we use it?
When you sign up to an event, we collect information about you in order that we can process your order and welcome you on the day. There is also an option to sign up to receive emails about news, events and other services we think may be of interest to you.
As part of the registration process for our mailing list, we collect personal information such as your name, email, job title and organisation. We use that information to tell you about relevant news, events and services that we think you will find of interest. We don’t rent or trade email lists with other organisations and businesses, but we might send you information about services from other businesses that we think could be useful to you. We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes (though there is no obligation to complete them).
We use a third-party provider, MailChimp, to deliver our mailings. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our mailings. For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice. You can unsubscribe from our mailings at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our emails or by emailing email@example.com.
Where you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence, or notes on our conversations.
We also collect personal data when an institution joins IHE membership, and update this information annually. This will include contact details for relevant people at the institution and we will use these to send out information that is relevant to your area of work, throughout your institution’s membership of IHE (or until you leave their employment). As part of our work within the HE sector, we frequently represent members’ interests to other stakeholders, which may include discussing members’ views and experiences on relevant HE topics.
How long we will retain your data for
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider:
- the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data;
- the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data; and
- the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
From time to time, we may ask you to update your data.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing.
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may make a small charge for this service.
How to contact us